Inside the Life of Me.....

Monday, May 16, 2011

Homeade Soaps

I Love Soap... I love all the fun shapes and smells of fresh soap... so I have wanted for a while now to make my own, but just haven't found a good recipe for one yet... until now! I found these recipes (once again) on The Urban Un-Martha Blog... love her!

Oatmeal Honey Soap

I added about 3 or 4 tablespoons of honey and 1/2 cup of oatmeal. I used 1/2 bar of the base. These soaps look big in the picture but they are actually a lot of mini bars. I melted the base and then added everything in, a quick stir and poured into the loaf mold. I sprinkled oatmeal on top also to make sure you could see the ingredients and then cut them a little hap-hazard too look rustic. They say that honey and oatmeal are great ingredients for sensitive skin and are extremely moisturizing.

She also had a recipe for:
Goats Milk-- Almond and Apricot Bar

Goat's Milk Almond & Apricot Exfoliating Bar

Everything you need:

Soap base (goat's milk is super moisurizing)
scented oils (apricot & almond oil)
exfoliant (apricot seeds)
coloring (food coloring)
double boiler or microwave
molds (you could use a muffin tin)
cooking spray for lubricant
wooden spoon

First: cut your base up into chunks along the perforated lines and put into the double boiler. Keep stirring until everything is dissolved and soupy.

Second: Turn off heat and add a few drops of your oils. You can also add food coloring but a little goes a long way. Just 1 drop of red & 1 drop of orange got me the color I wanted.

Third: I added my packet of seeds and stirred with a wooden spoon until everyone got to know each other.

Fourth: Sprayed molds quickly and poured CAREFULLY so the soaps would be nice & perfect on top

BUT I didn't pour ALL OF IT.

Fifth: I got crafty and kept a little soap in the pot and added just a drop or two more coloring and mixed. Then I poured the remainder in to "top off" and give a striped effect when I popped them out. Well that was the plan anyway:) the color variation is definitely there & I'm really excited for how they turned out.

Let sit for a few hours & pop them out when firm.  I was able to get 5 good size bars from the mold.

I am hoping to try and make these soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment